If you are like most first time home buyers you might be overwhelmed by down payment and closing costs that come with buying a home. While a good agent will help you to negotiate seller help they should also be knowledgeable about the resources available to you through Live Baltimore. Savvy buyers can use these incentives combined with state programs leaving their out of pocket expenses next to nothing. As with the MMP there are certain prerequisites, but most first time home buyers are eligible for one if not more of these programs. Also, as with the MMP, you must attend the FTHB class, complete your one on one counseling, and receive your certificate to be eligible prior to entering a contract.
Home Ownership Assistance Program:
The community block grant (CDBG) you can qualify for $5000.00 toward your fist home.
You should know:
- Your household income should be less than 80% of the area median income
- This is a five year forgivable loan which means your balance is forgiven by 20% every year until you no longer owe, not a bad deal!
- You must receive a HQS (housing quality home inspection) on the property. This means you must use a home inspector with this certification.
Baltimore Employer-Based incentives: are among the easiest to understand, receive, and qualify for.
There are several, here are just a few of the most popular:
1. Live Near Your Work: provides between $2,000-$17,000 to homebuyers. The amount you are eligible for depends on where you work and where you buy in proximity to your work. You can ask your employer if they participate in this program.
2. Good Neighbor Next Door: This incentive is for Baltimore city teacher’s grade K-12, fire fighters/EMTs, and police officers. You must commit to living in the home for at least 3 years and must choose a home from city specific/HUD homes.
3. Baltimore city Employee Homeownership Incentive: is a deferred forgivable loan up to $5,000 that depreciates by 20% every year you live in the home. Employee for city agencies who are employed by the mayor and city council qualify. Also your mortgage can not exceed $417,000.00, you must put $1000.00 of your own money toward the purchase, and one person per household may apply.
MMP “You’ve Earned It” : is a special interest rate and down payment assistance program for those with high student loan dept.
- This is a deferred loan and will have to be paid back at time of sale of property without interest
- Buyer must have at least $25,000.00 in student debt
- Interest rate is a .25 percentage point under
- Mortgage loan cannot exceed $525,901.00
- Homebuyer must invest at least $1000.00 of personal funds
Buying into Baltimore: is a $5000.00 incentive that can be used to buy a home anywhere in Baltimore City. There are two events: a spring/summer and fall/winter. 20 individuals will be selected by a lottery to receive awards. You need to know:
- Mortgage amount cannot exceed $517,000.00.
- Applicants have ten business days after attending to enter into a contract on a home and submit the application to be eligible for the lottery.
- Winners must close within 60 days for being selected.
- Co-signers, cash sales, or owner financing are not permitted.
- No short sales, no foreclosures, and no new construction will be considered.
- Home buyer must invest at least $1000.00 from personal resources
Most new Maryland buyers ask for the seller(s) for contribution towards the down payment and other upfront closing costs they need to buy their first home. While a good agent can help you negotiate seller concession, also known as seller help or seller contribution toward closing there are other resources available to you. The Maryland Mortgage Program (MMP) is a down payment assistance program offered to first time home buyers looking to purchase in the state of Maryland. While it is not “free money” it is a 0% interest deferred loan. This loan will give you up to $5,000.00 toward your down payment and is paid off only when you sell without interest.
**To be eligible for this program applicants must be:
- First time home buyers, who have never owned (or held title for) a principal residence anywhere in the last three years.
- Purchasing the home to use as their primary residence. Home may NOT be used as an investment property or rental.
- Able to complete a Homebuyer Education course. *This course needs to be finished, your one on one counseling session completed, and you should have your certificate in hand prior to making an offer or gong under contract on a home.
- Making a MAXIMUM income of $108,600.00 (for 1-2 people) or $126,700.00 (for a household of 3).
**Other important factors that apply outside of being approved include:
- Your current debt, employment status, and credit history.
- Loan type:
· FHA loans require a minimum credit score of 660.
· Conventional loans require a minim credit score of 640.
- Your debt-to-income ratio must also meet the loan requirements for your loan type.
**Important details you’ll need to know:
- Your new mortage loan cannot exceed $525,901.00.
- You CAN use this program with other grant incentives.
- Home buyer must use an approved lender.
Butchers Hill home buyers who are looking for a 10 year CHAP tax credit renovation have some great options. Many buyers will think that a total renovation is going to be way out of their budget. The truth is that Butchers Hill properties are just as diverse as it’s residences. Below I have 3 available CHAP tax credit homes that offer 3 different layouts at 3 different price points.
315 S Washington St – Butchers Hill – $325,000.00
Full CHAP pending, pre-construction appriasal is 115k
3 levels above ground
1 mastersuite on the 3rd level – complete with roof deck access, a full bath, and a sitting room
2 bedrooms share the 2nd level with a full bath inbetween
On the main level is a bright white kitchen, separate dinning room , large living room
This home has a 2 tier deck and an exterior storage shed in the rear.
411 S Washington St – Butchers Hill – $344,900.00
Full CHAP pending, pre-construction appriasal is 125K
3 finished levels, including a fully finished basement
2 bedrooms on the second level – a master w/ private bath and a 2nd bedroom with use of hallway bath
Main level has an open layout living area, separate dinning room and kitchen with breakfast bar
Basement is fully finished complete with a third bedroom, full bath and laundry area
This home also has a 2 tier deck starting from the 2nd level as well as a patio leading off the main level kitchen
2025 Bank St – Butchers Hill – $439,000.00
Full CHAP pending, pre-construction appriasal is 150K
Top 3 levels had an addition built on to the back
4 finished levels of living space
Top level has 2 bedrooms and a shared full bath
2nd level has master bedroom/full bath aside an additional bedroom with hallway full bath
Laundry is also on the 2nd level
Main level is set up for the entertainer- large living room, gourmet kitcken and separate dinning room with a walk out patio
Basement is fully finished with the 5th bedroom and full bath.
If you’d like to see any of these from Mason Properties of Baltimore, a favorite local builder, please contact Suzie Coronel. If you would like to better understand the CHAP credit, don’t hestitate to call!
Christmas is 4 days away. Most Baltimore City sellers would just wait until after the holidays to list a brand new renovation. Mason Properties wanted this to hit the market as soon as it was completed no matter the date. It’s a Baltimore City CHAP tax credit renovation so there is never a bad time to list these homes. In fact many baltimore city buyers won’t settle for anything without the 10 year CHAP tax credit.
411 S Washington St – Butchers Hill – Listed @ $344,900
3 true bedrooms
3 full baths
kitchen with granite, stainless, and tiled backsplash
wood floors throughout
3 finished levels
2 level roof deck
Located in Butchers Hill, just north of Fells Point, this home offers 3 large bedrooms, 3 full baths, wood floors throughout, and a 2 level roof deck. The kitchen has granite, SS appliances, plenty of cabinet space and a breakfast bar. Full renovation was just completed December 2016. With 1000+ sq ft above ground, the house has the space for different types of households. And with the CHAP tax credit it’s aordable.
If you’d like to tour this home or would like to know more about the CHAP tax credit and Mason Properties, Inc. let me know! Suzie Coronel
Looking for a rental close to Baltimore’s Patterson Park, Canton and Fells Point? Since this house has 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths on the same level, this house is perfect for roommates. 250 S Bouldin offers 3 finished levels, easy parking, large kitchen with island and a finished basement. Contact Suzie Coronel for details and showings.
250 S Bouldin Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
2 full baths
Available Dec 1st or Jan 1st
$1800 a month + water quarterly.